It’s that time of year again and summer is right around the corner. In addition to exercising and eating healthy, I am here to give you five easy food swaps that will cut calories and add nutrition so that you can look your best!
- For those who have a vice that happens to be chocolate, have no fear! You can still indulge. However, when reaching for that piece of chocolate, simply switch from milk to dark chocolate, making sure that the bar contains at least 60 percent cocoa. Not only does dark chocolate satisfy a sweet tooth, it also packs some healthy power. As a great source of antioxidants, dark chocolate aids in the protection of blood vessels. Now, with that being said, don’t run out and eat an entire bar; instead only eat about an ounce of the dark chocolate variety per serving!
- “Red, red wine, stay close to me!” I advise you to listen to the words of Bob Marley when faced with the choice of white or red wine. Red wine, just like dark chocolate, packs a powerful punch of antioxidants that help prevent blood clots. So the next time you go to happy hour, enjoy a glass of red wine and remember to drink all alcohol in moderation.
- Ever wonder what is actually in Wonder Bread? The answer to this question is: absolutely nothing healthy. So the next time you are in line for a nice panini in Options, opt for the healthier whole grain choice. This simple swap adds fiber, which has been linked to lowering the levels of bad cholesterol.
- Sugar or antioxidants, a.k.a. soda or tea? When faced with this choice, your best bet is to enjoy a spot of tea which contains antioxidants and a boost of caffeine without the addition of sugar that is found in soda.
- “Bet you can’t eat just one!” Please, for your own health, do not even eat one. When faced with the tough decision of either potato chips or apple slices for a side, steer away from the salt laden bag of chips and stick to apple slices. An apple contains zero grams of fat, is low in calories, and is packed with cancer fighting antioxidants as well as fiber. Did I convince you yet? If not, eat the potato chips at your own risk. But don’t say that I didn’t warn you!
These are just a sample of the simple yet healthy food swaps you can make that will speak volumes for your health! You don’t have to give up everything you enjoy, but always remember, snack wisely!